Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Position - Minister of Youth & Families

Position Opening: Youth & Family Minister

Although South Texas may not be the first thing to appear on one’s mental radar screen, First Lutheran Church, Floresville, Texas is truly a life-giving kingdom oasis in the midst of a desert of declining mainline U.S. Christianity. We have both the benefits of “elbow room” smaller town living and the convenience of being just 20 minutes from San Antonio’s Riverwalk.

In the past 6 years, our congregation has seen steady growth from 120 to 170+ on a Sunday morning. Not only that but we have an increasing number of young families. When I first got here 6 years ago, a good Sunday would have included 5-6 children at children's sermon. Now we get 15-25. About 25% of the congregation is younger than 20 years of age.

We’re not looking for someone who can create a younger presence within a greying congregation. We’re looking for someone who can minister to and grow with the existing influx of younger people.

The same Sunday we voted to open this position, we had an announcement from Council and Long Range Planning that they are all in agreement on relocating. We're tight in our worship space. We're tight in our fellowship hall. We're tight in our classrooms. We're tight in our parking. Right now the congregation's dealing with this amazing chapter. We've been incredibly blessed. Not exactly sure where the road leads. But we do know who holds the future. God is good!

The congregation is strongest with discipling, missions and youth/young families. Confirmation is such a positive experience that most kids are bummed when it’s over. We really need to develop a discipling track that follows confirmation. We currently have Sr. High Youth committed to a daily devotional life and gathering on a weekly basis to reflect on scriptures and encourage one another. They’re committed to making disciples. They’re very hungry in the faith and we need to raise up people competent in walking alongside them.

By the grace of God, the congregation is pretty healthy. The little conflict we experience is handled very well. Very positive attitude.

One of the things this congregation does really well is Vacation Bible School. We typically have over 100 adult volunteers. Some even take vacation days to participate in it. No adults complaining for being conned into helping out. Everyone who attends has a good time and looks forward to it. We max out with 150-160 kids. Have had to turn kids away the past couple years. Here's a link to a video I found from a couple years ago.

The position description, application, etc. is attached with this. It can also be found on our website; www.dojoy.org. You might have to go to "more" on the upper-right side of screen and then scroll down to "employment opportunities". Although the position is written with a layperson in mind, it could be an ordained position. The position description may strike you as a bit intimidating. Don't let that discourage you. We don't expect everything at once. I'm committed to giving our staff person all the support and encouragement needed. It's a matter of growing forward with the ministry and advancing Christ's kingdom. Not about what "I want to do" as much as what "Christ is calling me to do".

Benefits included with compensation package.

If you would like to know more, feel free to give me a call. My mobile number is 830-534-3139.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor John Conrad
    Attached Files
    Where God Comes First, Everybody Is Somebody, And Jesus Is Lord.
Working...
X